6 Tips To Sell Your Wedding Dress Online
Looking to recoup some money from your recent wedding? Consider selling your wedding dress online and help another bride to save on her wedding budget.
By selling your wedding dress, wedding accessories and wedding décor items online, you can:
- Recoup about 50% of the cost of your items
- Clear up space to make room for shared closets
- Love the Earth! Recycling a wedding gown reduces carbon emissions from shipping
Not sure how to get started? Keep reading for our top 6 tips to sell your wedding dress...
1. There’s no time like the present!
- Post your dress for sale as soon after your wedding as possible. Trust us, you're not going to wear it again, so why leave it hanging in your closet?
- Used dresses continue to hold their resale value for roughly 2 - 3 years after they’re purchased and worn (depending on the style) but generally sell for the most money within the first year.
2. Use a Fabulous Photo
Buyers will want to see your dress looking its best, so be sure to use photos that show off the potential of your dress. After all, it could a potential buyer's dream wedding dress! You can use a tool like Fotor to stitch more than one image together for free.
When selling your dress online it’s best to include:
- A full length picture of the front & back of your dress (preferably on a person or mannequin)
- Close-up picture of any detailing, beading or embellishments on your dress
- A close-up picture of any damage or stains on the dress.
- A picture from the manufacturer
Posting less than stellar photos (i.e. on a hanger like the example below, a badly lit photo etc.) or no photo at all, will make it more difficult for the potential buyer to visualize the dress and could hurt your chances of making that sale. Small pictures also make it hard to see details. Aim for 600 px or bigger, depending on what the site you are selling with will allow.
3. Be Specific
- Brides will be scanning many listings in their search for a wedding dress, so providing more information will likely sell your dress more quickly.
- Be specific about color, brand and model number. Often, brides-to-be will try the dress on in a store before they search online for a budget-friendly version, so the more information you can provide, the better.
4. List any Alterations
It’s important to be up-front about the condition of your dress. Describe any alterations that were made and specify whether or not they’re reversible.
For example, the original dress might have been a size 10, but if it was altered to fit a size 8, buyers need to know. Warn potential buyers of any damage to the dress such as stains, tears or runs. Be honest and you won’t waste your time or a potential buyer's time.
5. Get it Cleaned
It’s important to clean your dress right away. A clean dress communicates to the buyer that you have cared for and loved your dress, and presents better to potential buyers.
6. Be Prepared to Sell!
Once your dress is posted with great pictures and all the details, ensure both you and your home are ready to show the dress to potential buyers.
3 easy steps to prepare for the sale:
-Make time to meet buyers. Try to be available on evenings and weekends if possible
-Create a place for buyers to try on the dress, preferably with a full length mirror.
-Be ready to negotiate the price and know your limits so you can make decisions on-the-spot.
About SmartBride Boutique:
SmartBrideBoutique.com is a premium wedding classifieds website, helping today's savvy brides create the wedding day of their dreams on a realistic budget without sacrificing designer names, fabulous style or the environment. Past and present brides connect online to buy, sell and save on everything wedding. Smart Brides can have their cake and eat it too!
If you liked this post, you might also like:
Also check out our green wedding gowns board on Pinterest:Follow Green Bride Guide's board Wedding Gowns on Pinterest.